I found this meme on a Swedish book blog and I thought I'd do it here, in English.

What time period do you prefer when you're reading? Do you like historic books or books set in the present? Do you have a favorite time period?

This was actually a pretty difficult question to answer. I had to think for a while before coming up with my reply. Actually, I like both. The historic ones are usually set rather late, preferably not earlier than the late 18th century. I also like books set in the 20th century, occasionally as late as the 1980's, if you can call that 'historic'. (And I do. Even books set in the early 90's are history now, don't you think?). Also, I've decided to consider classics not historic but simply classics, because they were written in the time period in which the story is set. Of course it doesn't have to be that way. Other people may have a different view of this.

Some of my favorite historic books:

Jean-François Parot's historic mysteries about Nicolas LeFloch, set in pre-revolutionary France. Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge. It's fantasy and aimed at older children (I'd say about 9-12 and for anyone young at heart). Gullstruck Island by the same author (and intended for the same age group) is a bit of a special case, because it's what I'd call 'alternate history'. To begin with it's fantasy and it's set in a sort of vague colonial time, maybe the 19th century. When it comes to books set in the present, I have far too many favorites to just mention a few.