On the Swedish book blog, Old Adult Reads Young Adult, I found this interesting question:

What does your library mean to you?

I thought I'd answer that question here:

When I was a child, I began to borrow books very early, from the age of four to five years. I got my own library card, in the small village up north where we lived back then. Then we moved to a relatively big town and had to return to using my mum's library card. Since then the library has come to mean very much to me. When I got a little older I was allowed to come with my dad to his school, where he was the principal/head master, during weekends and was allowed to sit alone in the library or with just my sister. It was so much fun, a bit like going to an amusement park.

Now that I'm grown up, I honestly don't go that often. That's because when I was in fourth grade, a library book (from my own school library) ended up in a basket for books that needed repairing. The school librarian put it there, but must have forgotten about doing it. I was told that if I didn't return the book right away, I'd have to pay for it. That really scared me. After that, I stopped borrowing books almost completely, and even on the few occasions when I did, I was still scared to be blamed for something I hadn't done. I never had to pay for the book, because the librarian must have remembered where she/he put it, and that it wasn't my fault it was missing, but I didn't get over that incident until I grew up.

I have already posted about the awesome visit to a library while on summer vacation on one of Sweden's Baltic islands and the librarian was really great at advising me about what books to borrow, so I won't go into that now.

These days, I pretty much only borrow e books from the library, because I find that extremely practical. When the time is up, the book simply stops working.

Something else I do, though not all that frequently, is to go to the library and sit there, reading a book, without borrowing it. It's usually quiet and peaceful in there so it's really nice to just relax there. A little more often I go to the library to wait for the next bus or train, instead of going to the train/bus station.

I can also mention that the library in the town where I live now, has remarkably many e book titles, and the staff also arrange courses and lectures and so on, even though this is a very small town (some might see it as a village). Very nice! I'm so happy about that.

There's a tiny part of me that still wishes that I could have lived in Stockholm, where my dad was from, where I would probably have been able to have access to even more culture in the libraries (and museums and so on). In practice, though, that would never work, so I'm super happy about being where I am, at the moment.

Finally, I can mention that despite years of bad luck when it comes to this sort of thing, I'm still hoping against hope that some day I'll meet a book loving guy. One can always hope, right?

Source: http://crimsoncorundum.dreamwidth.org/154923.html